Sunday, July 12, 2009

My Amma - Mon Ami.

This post was submitted by a blogger who wants to remain anonymous. This is a true account of how his/her mother overcame difficulties to bring up her children and didn't give up.
The words touched us and made us feel proud of the son/daughter but most of all his/her mother. A woman who has the never-say-die spirit. We hope the words will 'speak' to you too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

My Mother:

It is often said that the force of character to handle stress is so much more in a woman than in a man. I personally know that it is true as I have seen my mother battle her way through so much.

The very basic characteristic of any human is his/her tenacity to survive against all odds. But unfortunately, that tenacity was found lacking in my dad. There was once a time when his business was doing great and money kept pouring in but unfortunately, due to some bad deals and even worse “friends”, he lost all of it when I was about 12.

He took to alcohol in a big way and pretty soon, lost all sense of what it took to be a good dad, what it took to be a good husband and he started living in his megalomaniac dreams of grandeur; a situation from which he has not recovered to this day. And he soon deserted us to live his life in solitude.

Coming from a very orthodox family, this incident was a major shock to all my relatives and they tried to bring him back into the fold. I still remember in my 9th standard visiting an AA clinic to meet my “dad” and there inside was a “decrepit stranger” whom I did not know and that incident still rankles as the most embarrassing moment of my life.

I was hurt, shocked and unable to control my emotions at that time and I could have gone either way. I could have become the psychotic extrovert or I could have become the deeply pained, shy introvert scarred for life. But it was thanks to my mother than I remained normal, remained grounded. Yes, being normal was an important attribute for me at that time.

Once a teacher by choice and interest, it soon became an important income source for her and she did initially struggle to make ends meet.

But more importantly, I am what I am thanks to her. She had the power to absorb so much and still walk around with a smile, a smile that used to light up the entire house. Nothing ever did depress her; no problem was too great to overcome. If I can say that I had a normal childhood, without any worries, it was thanks to her. If today, I can stand up and say that I aim to be a good human being and a good husband/father in the future, it is thanks to her.

I still remember as a kid, how she used to take everything in her stride and not blame “life” for it. During that initial period, the problems were many (legal, financial and emotional) and the solutions too few. I personally believe that a mortal of lesser strength would have fallen ill at that point but nope, she never gave up; she never gave up on her dream of bringing up her kids the right way, never gave up on her dream of educating school kids. A strong woman, who never cut corners, who inculcated in her kids, the importance of words like “honesty and integrity”.
The old wise folks say, “Mata, Pita, Guru, Deivam” and that saying is very true!!!

This is my tribute to this wonderful lady; my mother, my guru, my friend and my guide.

This is my tribute to this wonderful lady; a woman who could stay stoic against all insurmountable odds and yet cry at the drop of a hat when watching a film.

I do not call her “amma” these days. I call her “mon ami” (“my friend” in French).
God bless!!

5 comments:

AnjuGandhi said...

hats off to your mother.

Solilo said...

"she used to take everything in her stride and not blame “life” for it. During that initial period, the problems were many (legal, financial and emotional) and the solutions too few. I personally believe that a mortal of lesser strength would have fallen ill at that point but nope, she never gave up; she never gave up on her dream of bringing up her kids the right way, never gave up on her dream of educating school kids. A strong woman, who never cut corners, who inculcated in her kids, the importance of words like “honesty and integrity”."

I salute your mother. Many times we see people give up and then life goes for a toss. The fact that your mom took control of her life and two kids and brought up such wonderful individual...kudos to her.

Knowing and reading you, I know that she can smile and be proud of herself of bringing up you.

Indyeah said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story with us.


If today, I can stand up and say that I aim to be a good human being and a good husband/father in the future, it is thanks to her.

And she will smile so proudly if she reads this I am sure:))
What more can a mother ask for?:)
What a beautiful compliment you have given her!:)


I still remember as a kid, how she used to take everything in her stride and not blame “life” for it.

And what an amazing lesson to take from her.I wish more of us would do the same.Learn as you did that one makes something of oneself all on one's own and not blame life/fate for things.


WHat a never say die spirit:)


You know what I loved the most?
The spirit of positivity and hope from the first line to the last.:))

Hats off to your mom:)
An amazing woman!:) a wonderful human being:)

Anonymous said...

Very touching, a beautiful tribute to that wonderful lady.

Usha Pisharody said...

I am late here, but I am glad I did get here.

What a beautiful woman. Through and through. In her notions, and the way she handled "life", taking things in her stride and ensuring her children were not affected by the negativity around.

Salutes to her!